Loaded with crispy bits of bacon, extra-sharp cheddar cheese, and chives. The biscuits come out perfectly flaky and buttery every time.
Since most of our topics are not inducive to an appreciative smile, I thought I’d change things up a bit. These are heavenly, and the next time you make them you might want to double the portions (I have a tendency to pig out and find myself eating three or four if I’m not careful.)
These bacon cheddar chive biscuits are the definition of comfort food, with buttery, flaky goodness in ever bite.
Not to mention, the loads of cheese and bacon there.
Bacon Cheddar Chive Biscuits
Yield: 12 servings
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 6 slices bacon, diced (You CAN substitute Bacon Bits, if you choose to, but real bacon is better for my taste.)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, frozen
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Drain excess fat; transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.(Skip if using pre-crumbled bacon or Bacon Bits.)
- In a large bowl, combine bacon, flour, cheese, chives, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Grate butter using the large holes of a box grater. Stir into the flour mixture.
- Add buttermilk and stir using a rubber spatula until a soft dough forms.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 1 1/4-inch thick rectangle. Cut out 10-12 rounds using a 2 1/2-inch biscuit or cookie cutter. Place biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet; place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove biscuits from freezer. Place into oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy.